Thursday, August 2, 2012

Cake pops!

My friend Amanda was hosting a baby shower for her sister-in-law in June & asked for my help with the dessert. She wanted to make cake pops but had never made them before. I hadn't done them in a couple of months so I was all for helping! Since she has a 1 year old, I packed up all my stuff & we did them at her house. (My house is definitely not baby proof!)  Our friend Jen came over & we ended up having girls night all at the same time :) I had Amanda make the 9x13 cake ahead of time so we wouldn't have to wait until it cooled. First step is crumbling the cake into a big bowl. Then add about 2/3 of a can of store bought icing & mix well. It's easiest to use your hands to mix but it gets very messy!

After the cake & icing were mixed together, we rolled the mixture into as many balls as we could. We stuck them in the freezer for about 10 minutes to firm up. While they were in the freezer I melted the candy coating. We used all blue. Can you tell the baby is a boy?
Take the white pop stick, dip into candy coating & then insert about halfway into a cake ball. I do this to about 10 before I start dipping the cake itself. I find that it starts to harden & will help the cake ball stay on the stick much better while dipping.
After dipping, add whatever sprinkles you like while the candy coating is still wet. Then stick the completed cake pop into Styrofoam while it hardens.
For the best directions for cake pop making, head to their inventor's website, Bakerella!

I think ours turned out very pretty :)
For display, Amanda had an idea I hadn't seen yet. She made a diaper cake with an extra foam lip sticking out all they way around the bottom wrapped in ribbon. We stuck the cake balls into that extra foam, so they encircled the diaper cake.
Pretty cute, huh? To read more about the whole shower, head to her blog, the Parr Family Adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment