Friday, September 16, 2011

Back to School for Mr. Self

My husband, who is a 4th grade teacher, started back to school a couple of weeks ago. I decided him & his fellow teachers probably needed some special treats to get them back in the rhythm & help endure teacher in-service! We decided apples, of course!
We tried the apples over a year ago, they were actually one of the first really creative cupcakes we made. Let me tell you, they are MUCH better the second time around now that I have had more practice actually creating with cupcakes!
They are actually really easy to make, especially if you have a candy cutting helper like Drew! The leaves are cut out of sour belts, the stems are crafted tootsie rolls & the apple gets is realistic shape from a horizontally cut mini chocolate donut, all covered in icing w/ red sprinkles!
As a tip, if you are going to make these & take them somewhere, do not stick the candy stem & leaf into the cupcake until you are ready to go, day-of. Otherwise, overnight the tootsie roll gets very sticky & both the leaf & stem will be very wilted. We learned that from last time!
My husband's school colors are blue & white, so I quick iced a dozen to go with the two dozen apples.
We made ALOT of cupcakes! I wanted to make sure everyone got one, or two!
How about this candy jar? It was an actual end of the year teacher present my husband received from an awesome student his very first year teaching. How cool is that? Let me tell you, elementary teachers get the best presents!
Drew said they were a hit with the teachers at school. YEA!

No comments:

Post a Comment